By Roslyn Foo
Posted in Thai Ingredients | Tags :
Did you know that garlic is highly nutritious, but has very few calories? To all those who wish to achieve weight loss, consuming garlic is the way to go!
Below are a few reasons why we love having them in our diet!
- It can be found in many parts of the world and is popularly used in cooking due to its strong smell and delicious taste.
- It is known even during ancient times for its health and medicinal properties.
- It contains a sulfur compound known as allicin, which is formed when a garlic clove is chopped, crushed or chewed. Allicin is also responsible for the distinct garlic smell.
- It carries Calcium, Copper, Potassium, Vitamin B1, Phosphorus and Iron.
- When you catch a cold, garlic can be used to help you combat it as it is known to boost the function of the immune system. In comparison to placebo, a daily garlic supplement can reduce the number of colds by 63%.
- The active compounds found in garlic can reduce blood pressure. Hence, one should take garlic to prevent cardiovascular diseases like heart attacks and strokes as well as hypertension.
- Garlic contains antioxidants that may help prevent Alzheimer and Dementia.
- It offers your body with the energy it needs to work. During ancient times, it was used to reduce fatigue and help improve labourers’ work capacity.
- When taken at high doses, the sulfur compounds found in garlic can protect one against organ damage from heavy metal toxicity.
- It can improve the health of your bones.
- It complements most savoury dishes. The taste of garlic adds a punch to soups and sauces especially, and even add flavours to bland recipes.